full of … these

hazelcast rpm spec file and init script

Posted: November 9th, 2013 | Author: | Filed under: Uncategorized | No Comments »

Here is how I have built the rpm for hazelcast.

Download and unpack:

wget http://www.hazelcast.com/files/hazelcast-3.1.1.zip

unzip hazelcast-3.1.1.zip

Create a dir for building the rpm:


Copy sources and init file to SOURCES dir:

cp -r hazelcast-3.1.1 hazelcats-init rpm-root/SOURCES/



Name:           hazelcast
Version:        3.1.1
Release:        1
Summary:        hazelcast
Group:          hazelcast
License:        GPL
URL:            http://www.hazelcast.com
BuildRoot:      %(mktemp -ud %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-XXXXXX)
BuildArch:      noarch
hazelcast 3.1.1
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/opt/hazelcast/lib
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/opt/hazelcast/bin
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/init.d
cp -Rip %{_sourcedir}/hazelcast-3.1.1/{bin,lib} $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/opt/hazelcast/
cp      %{_sourcedir}/hazelcast-init $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/init.d/hazelcast
%dir /opt/hazelcast
%attr(0755,root,root) /etc/init.d/hazelcast
* Fri Nov 08 2013 - pjurco@localhost

- First version


# Provides: hazelcast
# Required-Start:
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: start and stop hazelcast
# Description: Start, stop and hazelcast
if [ "$1" = "start" ]; then
#execute some command in the background here, using
cd $HAZELCAST_HOME/bin && ./server.sh &
#the "&"-sign at the end of the command
PID=`ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep -m 1 "StartServer" | awk '{print $2}'`
echo "$PID" > $PID_FILE
elif [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then
kill -9 `cat $PID_FILE`
echo "Usage: hazelcast start|stop"
exit 1

Build command is:

rpmbuild --define '_topdir '`pwd`/rpm-root -ba hazelcast.spec

Save ‘less’ buffer to file

Posted: May 23rd, 2013 | Author: | Filed under: howto, linux | Tags: , | No Comments »

The site that originally hosted this useful trick is not accessible any more.

The original was at: http://kerneltrap.org/node/17043

Source of the text below is http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://kerneltrap.org/node/17043&strip=1


to save the buffer that is being displayed by a session of `less’, use its pipe-to-shell-command capability by scrolling to the top of the file and press `|’ followed by `$’ as well as entering `tee DESTINATION_FILE’ when prompted for the shell command.


CoRD cannot connect to Windows 2008 Server

Posted: May 21st, 2013 | Author: | Filed under: howto | Tags: , , | No Comments »

It happened to me to have a colleague that could not connect to a Windows 2008 Server using his Mac.

We have tried different things like adding him to Remote Desktop Group (which is a must) and to Administrators group but the CoRD application was not showing anything immediately after connecting to the server.

So, nothing happened when we hit the button to connect to the server. The window just disappears.

After a week-end and another attempt to connect to a different remote Windows computer it came out that the Remote Desktop setting were allowing only computers with “Network Level Authentication” enabled (more secure).

Enabling the “less secure” option on Windows 2008 Server (any version of Remote Desktop) fixed the problem.

sony vayo vpceh3s6e network driver

Posted: April 17th, 2013 | Author: | Filed under: howto, idiots | Tags: , , , , | No Comments »

If you downloaded the “Ethernet Driver” from Sony’s support page and you noticed that is not good at all, here is how I made it working.

Searching for the PCI ID found in Device driver list has ended in no useful stuff, only spam results.

Going back to the source of this driver at http://www.sony.ro/support/ro/product/VPCEH3S6E_W/downloads/REDETH_00247766_0042_5704 I have seen the version of the Realtek driver:

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, Version for Microsoft® Windows® 7

Searching for this sentence, I have found the HP page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-94199-1

On this page is the exact version that we need:

Released: 2011-05-06
File name: sp52799.exe [1/1, 5.72M]
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Enjoy the fix.

Network driver update killed facebook

Posted: December 12th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: idiots | Tags: , , | No Comments »

I while ago I had met a strange issue.

I noticed that facebook is not loading in browser if accessed at work. We do not filter facebook, so, for this reason, the issue was more odd.

I could not find anything in our DNS, it returning correct results.

So, I gave up and stop using facebook. Until I have opened it accidentally while surfing over the wireless connection. Over wireless it was working.

In this conditions I got more interested in this issue. It was clear for me that the cause was on the laptop I am using. So, I have reinstalled the drivers. No luck.

After some days, I realized that I have updated the wired network driver via Windows Updates.  I went to the installed updates, uninstall the new version of the driver and… facebook WORKED!

Here is the culprit (winqual link is not working):

Realtek – Network – Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Download size: 272 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

Realtek Network software update released in June, 2011

More information:

Help and Support:


It seems that winqual.microsoft.com was replaced with sysdev.microsoft.com.